- February 19, 2024
During the summer of 2022 AW Construction has been completing various refurbishment works across the Christ Church University campuses. We have had a team of operatives on site, headed up by our Projects Manager Garry Edwards, whilst students and staff were enjoying one the UK’s hottest summer holiday breaks, we were hard at work.
The schedule of works has been numerous, and we can say that no two days are the same at university! Whilst we have been refurbishing and repairing several areas with new materials, items taken from these works have where possible been reused to replace fading or broken items in another. Where we replaced ceiling tiles in one room, we utilised the good ones to replace broken tiles in another location.
On site we had an apprentice carpenter working alongside our team, Alex used his time with us to complete his practical side of his coursework working on the installation of some windows and other carpentry requirements.
Whilst some of the works were general decoration, flooring renewal, furniture adjustments, electrical works and the like, we also undertook a wider range of more complex works across campus:
- Reconfiguration of a library to provide teaching space. Walls removed and constructed, electrical adjustments, new flooring, and complete decorations.
- Fire protection of a boiler room roof and flue.
- Reconfiguration of parking bays, tarmac works to create additional bays.
- On site production of a new reception desk and new layout of area. Electrical works and installation of glazed screens and gates.
- Fire protection works. Electrical installation of emergency lighting and fire detection. Upgrading of doors to comply with fire regs.
- Creation of a timber compound to house the skips for the Garden maintenance team.
- Groundworks and installation of 2nr gas bottle storage cages.
- Electrical installation of emergency lighting and fire detection.
- Replacement of 6nr Velux rooflights
Whilst on site we have had to work closely with the university management team, ensuring staff, students, members of the public all remain safe whilst we are carrying out these works. Particular emphasis has been placed upon our workforce to make sure that all works are carried out safely and with the minimum of disruption.
With ongoing works across the university site and further works programmed in for other colleges and university campuses we are using our experience gained from other sectors of the business to provide a supporting facilities management role for institutions like Christ Church and across the construction, local authority, and public sector.